View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #22
nomad

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Mustang race car that I have owned since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gillis View Post
I raced in 1971 at Indy and the Grandnationals in Canada with no problem. Going through tech at the World Finals in Texas the Division 4 and 6 Tech Directors wanted me to install the scoops before they would let me race. Finally after a lot of discussion with the help of my Division 2 Tech Director they said I could race but not to show up at Pomona without scoops. We had to cut the quarters and fabricate a bracket to hold the scoops since my car was made without scoops. When I restored it in 2005 I filled in the scoops.

This kind of thing happened a lot when I worked at Dearborn Assembly. A plant worker buying a new Mustang or Cougar was usually afforded the privilege of following his car down the assembly line. Sometimes that employees co-workers would add some extras. Convertible rocker boxes on hardtops and fastbacks was a popular "option". The required the carpet molded for that rocker box. A set of Boss quarter panels accidently ending up on your car or a Big E car would not be out of the question.

In the large repair bay at the end of the line a 428 ending up in a 390 car that lost it's engine on the test rolls happened a couple of times, too.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote