View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #8
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Roller Rockers in Stock

I have a bucket of NOS AMC rockers. Once I found a source, I bought everything the guy had. I found the aftermarket rockers (standard replacement, Sealed Power, TRW, etc.) we're not built with the same rockwell hardness as per OEM and as a result, they would pull the cup out of the base (were the rocker ball sits. AMC rocker is virtuall identical in appearance to SBC, just longer) almost immediately. Cryogenic treatment did not help. Neither did heat treatments and coatings. The NOS units faired much better and didn't require prep work. Ever hear the phrase "old iron is better than old iron"?
And I've talked to plenty of racer's on this subject. It's a problem with BBC, Fords of all sizes, AMC, GM...basically anything that uses a stamped rocker that rides on a stud. As I said on the other post regarding this subject, there are cure's for some makes. But you might spend 3x the cost of a set of Crane Gold roller rockers.
What's really intersting to me is the lack of responses to the post I made regarding "killer" valve-train parts and costs elsewhere on this forum.