View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #81
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Making Aluminum Heads Legal for all SuperStockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kuehl View Post
You are the one that need's to start paying attention ! I said only if a cast iron head was not avalible . Then only if there was a H.P. adjustment . When the head porter's get ahold of the Aluminum head's they will just keep going until we have the same problem's with leaking that we do now . Everybody will just keep pushing thing's to the limit . Just an example a well know engine builder from the midwest told me
that Ron's porting service had some secret concoction that he coated the inside of his Aluminum head's with to stop them from leaking That is why we race Stock & Super Stock if we didn't want go faster we would be like the 90's racer's build a big motor and slow it down . There are a lot of us with good iron head's that can't afford to change . I can't afford to throw a good set of iron head's away and get some Aluminum head's . There are 2 thing's that will never be on my car Aluminum head's and a diaper . Every time there is a rule change all it doe's is raise the cost of racing . Even if it make's sense to start with NHRA will find a way to scew it up .
Al
Al, and to anybody else; I never said that you had to run aluminum heads, all I am saying is that they should be and option for those whom want to go that route. There will always be some people like yourself that will always try to run the iron heads. I don't know what engine combo you run, but unless you are a chevy or ford , the availability of replacement iron isn't going to be that good, but your options in aluminum are alot better. Like I said before just look at the Edelbrock catalog. Also know matter what you say, aluminum will always be easier to repair than iron. You don't have to heat the whole head in an oven, therefore lossing all the seats, epoxy and valve guide trouble that often happens. So show me the up side of the iron head, be it a replacement or original. If the problem is that when you raise the hood you don't want to see aluminum, then paint the head the same color as the motor. Also the after market is more likely to want to produce replacement heads from aluminum rather than steel. And lets' face it they are going to be the ones producing the heads, not the manufacturers. As far as your argument about the cost, I already said that I have one of each, and besides the initial cost of the head the aluminum was cheaper. Nobody said that you had to run out and build an aluminum head motor tomorrow, but when those iron heads start to fall apart, which they will soon enough than you have another option when you have to do a new set.
69ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote