View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #19
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Super gas/comp/Street forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
I just picked a mph for my discussion. I have no idea what the stop mph is. Those numbers are probably more indicative of the 1/8 mile mph. Just saying that if you start at a slower mph but have a longer time to get to the finish, versus a higher mph but shorter time to get to the finish... Will it change the finish mph much?
Dan
Of course it will change it. More time WOT will produce more MPH unless your engine has its tongue hanging out by the finish line. The definition of "much" is up for debate. Will it be enough to change the appearance of the race for you and your opponent? Probably not unless your timer or cruise RPM change is dramatic.

My dragster is mechanically injected, so I go on the stop at 0.100 and shut it down to a dead idle. My cruising speed is almost a stop. I also come off the stop in Low gear. I've never run this combination wide open to the 1/4 but I only lose 2-3 MPH at the 1/8 mile when running 8.90 on the stop as compared to a wide open pass. 6.19 @ 145.86 compared to 4.69 @ 148.14.

I would hazard a guess that cars running a more traditional cruise RPM and coming off the stop in High gear are down 10+ MPH at the 1/8 compared to a WOT run.