View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts
Default Re: Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Technically, Rory is correct that the 302 4-speed was not offered in 1978 in a Fairmont-Zephyr. It was available in 1979 and the engine specs are identical. I'm not sure that NHRA would know that the 78 4-speed was not a production car (nor would they care). The 4-speed transmission was an SROD with OD in 4th gear. Same transmission as used in many late 70s-early 80s FoMoCo products.
Thanks for the input on the Fairmont. One of the decisions I needed to make was what year to run the car, 78 or 79.

I'm not an expert on anything but I have looked a lot of Fairmont stuff in the last couple of years. You guys probably forgot more than I'll ever know.

I'm not positive if they made a 4 speed 302 in 78 so in my opinion it may fall into a gray area.

My car is a 79 that was built with the 2.3 4cyl engine and an SROD. I did get confirmation from NHRA that I could run a Jerico, or other non-overdrive 4 speed in this car for stock eliminator.

I know you guys are trying to keep me from making a mistake with the build. I can always run as a 79, but I will take a HP hit. I may have to petition NHRA to bring the 79 hp down to the 78 level. Same engine specs anyway.

There are very minor differences in the cars. I have collected enough parts to run it as a 78 or 79 Fairmont or Zephyr.

This is a scan out of an original 1978 Fairmont brochure. I'll use this as my documentation with NHRA if questioned.

Thanks for your help...more build to follow.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-22 78 Fairmont Scan 002.jpg
Views:	1626
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	33645  
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote