View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #12
Dean Feiock

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Daily Driver oil

I normally do not jump into these types of conversations, but here goes. Take this for what its worth or not. I could just be getting too old to know better.

I have been working in a dealership for over 25 years. My current dealership is multi-line. We have GM, Nissan, and Chrysler.

First, I can tell you without question, Nissan and Chrysler both require verifiable documentation on oil changes for warranty. Hand written shop orders and some scattered receipts DO NOT count. I cannot comment on GM, but I can find out if needed. I have had two bad Chrysler engines and one bad Nissan engine in the last twelve months that were turned down due to lack of provable maintenance.

Second, I am a life long Chrysler tech and a newbie Nissan tech. We have never really had oil issues. But I watch the our GM techs pull engines out on a weekly basis to put in new pistons and rings. GM most certainly has oil issues, and it's always the ring pack stuck in the groove. Walk into any GM dealership and the odds are they are going to have an engine out putting pistons and rings in it. GM switched it's oil requirements right as their oil issues started to get severe. They realized a little to late that with the super light ring tension they are running, they needed better and lighter oil.

Third, I never seem to understand why using a manufacture specified oil seems so foreign to some. If it's good enough for the manufacturer, and required by the manufacturer during warranty repairs, how bad can it be? Some say price is an issue which I find hard to believe, after all if you can afford $60k for a truck the oil shouldn't be an issue should it?