View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Default Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

I seem to have an issue with the front road side outside wheel bearing on my Renegade triple axle trailer.
I pack the bearings each January and the last two years that same bearing has gone out before years end. The same one none of the others. This year it gave up in July at mid year. Alignment seems ok it does not wear the tire different than normal and I have not abused it against curbs etc so I am at a loss for what is wrong.
This last failure I found many of the sticks from the bearing in the fresh looking grease inside the hub. Plenty of grease so it was not dry. From research on the internet of pictures of different failures the closest to what mine looked like called it a cage failure. I had never heard of such a failure however, I guess you learn something new every day if you just try.
The axles came with bearings marked Made in China. The trailer place I usually buy bearings told me that was where all their bearings came from and I have replaced them with the China made until now.
I found a bearing supplier that sold me Timken Made in USA bearings as a direct replacement. I am going to try them and in fact have bought a full set to change out all the China made as I pack them in January.
I am going to replace both sides of the front axle this next week and see how the Made in the USA bearings hold up.
Anyone with similar issues?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote