View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #657
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Crate Motor Class

Nobody will know if crate motor classes will eventually be included in the regular program or not, including NHRA. Naturally they first have to see what the response is in Div. 2. But it is nice of them to try and include it in a separate series outside of divisional and national events so they won't influence the regular divisional and national championships of the "pure" (snicker) Stock classed cars. Either way is fine with me.

All one has to do is look back at the history of NHRA and the classes that they tried and in many cases "adopted" and ran/run at different degrees of success: Pro Mod, Top Sportsman, Top Dragster, Nitro Harley, Mountain Motor (500 cu.in.) Pro Stock, index classes - 11.50, etc. Don't forget double points races!

I hope I have the option of running CM Stock or regular Stock, depending how my 2 cars perform. I bought a "regular" Stocker a few years ago from a friend who has helped me a lot with it. But an attempted 2016 debut at Gainesville didn't go well. (Long story.) I hope to try again this season.

To answer the question of "Why would someone build a car that's limited to one sanction?". My main reason is that I grew up working on Holley carbs. Thermoquads are very "sensitive" and intimidating. Some people can almost rebuild them with their eyes closed, but I just never got around to learning and it will be a steep learning curve before I start getting any confidence in getting inside of one myself. Maybe a good analogy would be like comparing a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle to a 1000 piece, It's do-able, but takes a lot more time & patience to get it together.

Some people are mad at IHRA for dropping class racing. I can't blame them and appreciate that they tried for MANY YEARS to attract more competitors. Everybody should know how much they offered in purses, compact schedules and other incentives. But it was business decision and I can't blame them for not wanting to keep throwing money into something that not enough racers supported. I'll try to support their new format to some degree if time and budget permits. It may be a very busy season.

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 02-09-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote