View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: my 79 cobra project

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
I blew up three 7.5's in my '83 then put in a 9".....that was in '88...haven't broke anything since.
9" isn't required with a 302 2bbl auto, but if your ever going to step it up in the future it's required and the price is a wash or cheaper for a 9" imho.

Personally I'll always take a robust, removable carrier type rear, over a c-clip/tiny/weak/integral carrier type. Maybe I'm too old school?
The 8.8 is pretty decent, as long as you have the axle tubes welded to the casting, and get a decent spool and axles. I have been running my 85 Mustang for 11 years with a 8.8, with a stick, and with the bracket engine, have gone mid 1.3 60 foots. That said, if I did it again, I think I would use a 9". A 9 inch has a much better selection of ratios, most available in a "Pro" gear, which is not available for a 8.8. A 8.8 is definately cheaper, and easy to find, and bolts right in. Plus supposedly takes less HP to spin. And unless you want to spend even more money, the 8.8 is lighter. But the 9 inch is way better served ratiowise.