View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #30
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Roller Rockers in Stock

I sure would like to think I could pick up the phone to Glendora and get rules changed to my liking but clearly, that is not the case. Regarding the disk break rule, I may have been more vocal (publicly), but many other's, including the manufacturer's, were for it. My 125 MPH D/S car and other's approaching or exceeding 130 MPH were quickly finding the limitations of OEM brakes. Would you suggest they were going to fast and just needed to slow down? I originally raced with drum brakes then progressed to disk brakes / drum (OEM) on my car. I could tell in the shut-down area more than the track when the engine was making more power, every two MPH increment made it noticeably harder to slow down the car. And when you are finally pumping the brakes to the last turn-off, keeping in mind trhere's a line between slowing from a high speed and not glazing / warping the brakes, you realize change may be neccessary.

Regarding solid lifters in Stock, I sure was vocal on that issue. Keep in mind I feel I have a right to be as vocal as I choose as I'm a member and racer in NHRA and this is a public forum. I know some feel this is just a great place for race kudo's and birthday club greeting's, but I see it as a place to voice concern's or implement opinion on change.
So on solid lifter's....nobody has yet to explain to me why it's OK to allow $500-$850 lifter's in Stock that are "quasi-hydraulic" (meaning they do nothing in resemblance to a hydraulic other than have a mere .015" plunger travel) when a $79.00 set of solid lifters will perform identically at a 962.50% savings to the racer. No, Jeff wasn't after easier or cheaper as I had already been down that road and spent thousands on various Sherman, Scubeck, Chilled-iron and modified OEM style lifters. I was after being reasonable and using logic to make it easier on everybody else.

As mentioned previously on this thread, every aspect of the Stock valve-train has been upgraded to acceptable by NHRA except the rocker arm. But hold on. That's not entirely true. Chrysler racers have enjoyed the use of Isky ductile iron adjustable rockers for years on all V-8 engines. Ford Clevland & 429/460 racers have been using roller bearing rocker folcrum's in Stock for years. Both examples having never been assembly line installed as an OEM part as required by NHRA. Not that I'm aware of anyway. Following the logic which allowed Isky rockers on the MOPAR's, the SBF (289/302/351W) racer's should be allowed the use of SVT aluminum roller rockers in Stock as it was an OEM rocker on the '93 Cobra engine. Could the same argument apply to the SBC as the LT4 and LS family utilizes roller rockers?
So there are two issues as far as I am concerned. One is equality. If MOPAR racer's enjoy superior non-OEM rockers, then so should everybody else. Second, if NHRA allows basically a stock-lift Superstock valve-train from the rocker arm on down, then finish the job. (Alan, I believe the Holyrod stud is Stainless or other quality material). In my opinion it should be all stock (valve-train) or all modified at the racer's discretion with limitations that the installation resemble OEM construction, i.e., any stud mounted or shaft rocker arm as applicable to OEM installation standards.
And for those that have found the magic solution already, great, good job. The proposal is not that roller rockers should be mandatory, just an alternative. Same with taperd, large diameter pushrods, and guide-plates, and beehive springs, and Schubecks....