View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: Some "Dime Rockets" for the 4TH!

Okay, since I have already let the cat out of the bag on the other thread, I will start with my favorite, the '76 or '77 Camaro, '78 Camaro LT or '78 Firebird Formula, or '79 Camaro Berlinetta with a 305 2-bbl for U/SA. The pluses for this combination and the potential makes it a must look at in my opinion.

The engine is basically the same as the one Billy Lynn and Dean Oliver race in their Malibus in K & L. The only difference is the carb and a smaller intake valve (which may be a plus with the smaller carb!). Those Malibus run 11.80s consistently at 3250 lbs, so we can get a guage on the potential of the U combination from that. If you allow that the switch to a 2-bbl will chop a full second off and the added weight for U (3770 lbs. minimum) will slow by another .6 or so, the U combination should run mid 13s in a class with a 15.15 index. I see lots of potential there to be a competitor.

Then, consider that the 200 Metric or 200R4 is available and the car will be equipped with a GM 8.5" ten bolt. The 200 is a transmission of choice in lots of classes and the 8.5 is plenty strong enough with stock parts for this combo. The body has leaf springs so traction is easy and the plethora of available bolt-ons makes used parts easy to find. There have been several racers over the years chase combinations using the Rochester 2-bbl, so even the carb is not exactly an unknown.

I see lots of affordable potential in these combinations. I think the big problem for most people would be resisting the temptation to go overboard with the cosmetics and tricks that are available and applicable for the engine and car.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked