View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: Want to loose 3200 ugly pounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Alan,that's the clearest explaination anyone's made on the subject of the new cars.The only one's who'll disagree are those who own/race one and don't want to lose their racing
(heads up) advantage or maybe stand to profit by an association with them.
Ed, I actually LIKE the new cars, I think they're cool, and I think properly classified and promoted they could be good for the manufacturers, good for NHRA, and even good for the classes. I consider guys like Jeff Teuton, Rock Haas, and Dempsey Pendarvis to be friends. Just as I do the Beattie family who own ATI, and who race a new Challenger in Stock. I'd like to see Chevrolet jump in, IF NHRA is going to solve the problems.

I'd also like to see all of the manufacturers actually produce street legal production cars that could fit in real Stock classes, and get them factored and classified at least reasonably. If they'd all produce something like the old COPO 9561 cars and the Road Runners, cars that were basically bare bones light weight cars with a production high performance drivetrain, those would be good for Stock Eliminator, and they'd belong. THAT would be a real return to the sixties and the muscle car era. A real street car, no air, no power accessories, no excess trim, no monster stereo with "blue tooth", just light carpet and rubber floor mats with no power seats. Leave off all the fancy paint, wheels, decals, and trim, and cut the price down where the cars could be bought. Then they could do a body in white program with support, and it would be good for racers, good for racing, and good for sales. I'd even be in favor of NHRA allowing them a shipping weight reduction (say 200-400 pounds from a 3600 pound shipping weight) to allow for taking off the safety and emissions equipment that wouldn't be necessary for racing.