View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Towing with a 1/2 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lester View Post
There has been 20 plus year advancement in weight and handling since the early 90s, nowadays a 1/2 ton can handle more now then a 1 ton from 20 years ago. Did anybody read what I wrote? I said I will be UPGRADING. Look it up in a dictionary if you don't understand the meaning of the word. I know not to hook a 6000 lb max anything to a 10000plus gross trailer, the math doesnt add up, I know that. I know even with a properly equipt truck/trailer combo, somethings always going to happen, usually due to other drivers around you that have no clue how to drive.
Tell you all what, instead of beating around the bush and calling me an idiot, why don't you come up with ideas to help me like, "Call this guy, can make you a set of springs that will gain you 2000 lbs towing cap", or "Upgrade all you can, sounds like a great idea, but drop down to a 26 or 24 footer and just head to a hotel."
Just comparing a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 against my 1988 Suburban, I know its like comparing apples to oranges but if thats the truck I need to compare to, so be it. Dodge 2500 has a rear track of 68", Suburban is 66" if I remember correctly, and I know I can add a inch to a inch and a half to each side so width argument is a mute point. Wheelbase is another area I'm sure you all are thinking the Dodge would have an advantage, and in the case of a mega cab swb 160", crew cab swb 149", reg cab lwb 140" vs 1988 Suburban 129" so you got me there. Again apple to oranges comparision remember. So answer this, why can I not spend 3 grand to upgrade suspension and brakes to tow a 28 foot trailer? Willing to listen to intelligent answers only. Not out of the question to drop down to a 26 or a 24 foot trailer, did find a new 26 v nose with 7000lb axles. Yes I know 10400 lb axles are way better but looking to tow with what I have WITH UPGRADES.
You already have your mind made up. There is no way I would make that trip with a half ton suburban and a 28' trailer. It's not made to do what you want to do.