View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #19
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Solid lifters in Stock

The ramps on camshafts on hydraulic and solid cams are designed differently for many reasons.

Due to the various ramp and lobe designs in Stock Eliminator such as dwell and non-dwell lobes, when you plan to switch from hydraulic to solid, the best is to talk to the camshaft designer at the camshaft company; not the salesperson.

If you are building a new engine, just have a new camshaft made for use with solid lifters. It will have the proper area under the curve and also, with the right lobe, you can create lofting that will provide the engine with more lift than what the actual cam was physically designed with.

Yes, due to the dynamics of a solid lifter, they tend to make more power and RPM quicker when compared to a normal hydraulic lifter only if the valvetrain geometry has been optimized. When I say normal hydraulic I am not talking about a restricted travel or blocked hydraulic lifter.
Also, a solid lifter will be lighter than a hydraulic counterpart. I always recommend EDM drilled solid lifters that are DLC coated, installed with the proper lifter bore clearance.

Many years ago during a conversation with Don Tweles at General Kinetics, he shared that his dwell lobes could be run 0.006 ~ 0.010 with solid lifters.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote