View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #25
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts
Default Re: Fairmont U/S Build

Ordered a Moser spool and axle kit for the 8.8. Got a 31 spline which they said should be plenty strong enough for my build. I had previously sent my axle housing to a local rock crawling shop to have the tubes and brackets welded in a straitening jig. With the housing back in the car I cut the ends of the tubes so it would accommodate the C-Clip eliminator. Installed the axles and spool without a R&P until we get the engine dyno’ed. Need to make a decision on tire size and gear ratio down the road. The down side of 8.8 axles is the lack of R&P choices. Based on talking with a few folks I’ll probably be in the area of a 29.5 tire and a 4:88 gear but that is just a guess as that may be a little too much tire. Transmission has a 3:19 low gear.

Bought a pair of used Hotchkiss adjustable upper control arms, the lowers were already on the car when I bought it. Another bonus.

The axle housing didn't have any brakes when I got the car so I went shopping on CL and found some 11 inch Rangers drum brakes which are more than adequate. Added new shoes and hardware. Been along time since I built drum brakes, had to dig out my old tools. When I win the lottery I'll buy some light weight brake components front and rear.

Received the trans back from Jerico last week. They changed the input shaft and bearing retainer to fit my FFFord. The Long ratchet shifter is a thing of beauty. Everytime I get a new part it motivates me even more to get moving on it.

Mounted the fuel cell along with an electric fuel pump. My welding on the fuel cell tabs is kind of crappy, I'll cover with paint.

Bought a used Mallory 140 from a friend. Kind of overkill for this application but it was cheap. I'll kit it and try it. I also have a used Red and Blue Holley pump as back ups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axel 1.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	33919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axel 2.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	33920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axel 3.jpg
Views:	374