View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #9
Bernie Cunningham

Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Which tire to use on trailer

We had this same discussion several years ago.

A lot has changed in the tire market since then, natural rubber costs are at a premium so most 'new' tires will not last as long as they used to because of synthetic materials, expect 6 year max. It all comes back to cost of manufacturing and marketing.

I've learned that you'll be hard pressed to 'wear em out' cause the side walls can't handle it anymore and you'll lose em from sidewall degradation, so, for that reason I'll stick with my choice of the Bridgestone R250 Duravise. It was modeled from a big rig tire with an amazing side wall structure.They, also, are not cheap!

We all had big issues with the Goodyear G614's back in the day so interest was long lost and gone there, may have gotten better.
My friend Dan F likes the Firestone Transfoce HT, I have those on my tow vehicle by default and you'll still see the side wall crack prematurely just like any of the new stuff.

My suggestion is to always have the tires mounted with the date codes on the outside so you can monitor the age. While I live in So Cal, I find it a benefit to try keep the sun of em too. Cheers.