View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #8
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: 1969 US Nationals Indy

Been slowly goin back thru these old threads to see what I can find. Didn't know how many pages of threads were included in this section. So, I clicked on the last page, to find out.

Most of the names & cars on this site, I never heard of. But, when I looked at the names on the '69 Indy winners list, I immediately recognized the name Glen Self. He's listed as winning Street. Don't have a clue what car he was driving.

BUT, when we 1st saw him race, he was driving a straight 6 powered 1st gen Canaro, in the Modified Production class. It was named "Stormin Six". It had a real strange sound. But it would scream ! He ran out of our div 4. The car was a nat record holder. Probably set & reset records many times.

I'm posting a pic here from the IHRA paper. It shows pics of the winners & RU's at the IHRA points race held in Tyler Texas, in the Summer of 1978.

Glen was the winner of Modified. The pic right under his, is my girlfriend(now wife) who won the bracket category, which they called Pro Street, with her Pontiac powered '68 Bird.

It's been a long time, but I remember that race & the Stormin Six !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Glen Self .jpg
Views:	214
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	59824   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Stormin Six .jpg
Views:	205
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	59825  
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked