View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: H/Stock 1957 Chevy "In-Bomber" Omaha NE late 60's

Gus,

Thanks for that information, but, now I am really confused about what went on at the '67 Tulsa World Finals race.

I was only there on Sunday, for eliminations.

I heard, when I got there, that the ~TENSION~ white '57 from Omaha (a car I'd seen run at Des Moines Dragway) had been involved in a pit accident with Jackson's Scratcher B/SR, and was too damaged to race.

I assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that Fred Anderson, who was the only person I'd ever seen drive that ~TENSION~ white 270HP/4-speed Chevy, had borrowed the yellow Plaza Shell car (ex-Jere Stahl wagon) to fill in for the damaged Tension Team car the day after the accident.

Looks like, in the information I have been able to dig up, that Wally Nissen, in fact, drove the yellow wagon in competition, (not Fred) making it to the final round, before red-lighting to George Cureton's '56 Chevy sedan delivery.

In the intervening years, I have seen a picture of the Jackson Street Roadster, taken after the accident, and the front end is damaged. But, I've never seen a picture of the Chevy (after the accident.)

I'd just like to know how much of what I think I "know" about this, is true, and how much of what I think I know is wrong.

As the owner of that wagon, can you help me out, here?

And, what ever happened to that wagon? It was one of the earliest attempts (and, a VERY successful one!) to 'science-out" a Stocker. Jere did a masterful job with that car!!! It belongs in a museum...

Thanks for any information!!!!

Last edited by bill dedman; 10-26-2009 at 09:26 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote