Thread: GMC frame rust
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Steve Stickel

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: GMC frame rust

John,
Plan on changing the frame with a good used one from another climate.
I faced the same dilemma 2 years ago (2011), 97 GMC 4X4 suburban I ordered new (35k) w/ all the options except 2 tone paint. Driven only 38,500 miles, body / interior perfect, under the truck, solid rust. truck was garaged 50% of the time....called and wrote GM ..nothing they could / would do....what a shame, sold it for $1500 for parts...
Summer of 2012, I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra V6 work truck I've had for years and won't give up on, at 250,000 miles breaks a gas tank strap. Strap is warranted for 15 yrs from Toyota. Truck goes to dealer for replacement. Dealer calls saying they found rust through on a section of frame. NO PROBLEM !! They pay for a rental, 5 weeks later, New Complete Frame, New lower A frames, New ball joints, New fuel lines, new brake lines, 2 new rear shocks, spare tire winch , Rebuilt front caliper, A/c charge and alignment. NO Charge !! all I paid for was some freon and fluid.. Just turned 272,000 today....lol
Moral of the Story....Toyota had a rust problem, recognized it and offered a solution with their truck frames, either replacing the frame or buying the entire vehicle back at 1.5 NADA from the owners.
GM on the other hand, sticks their head in the sand, and disappoints loyal US brand customers who may never come back.... Is this the new "Heartbeat of America" ?
Steve Stickel is offline   Reply With Quote