View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Competetive 4-cylinders in Comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
--if you are thinking about a 4 cylinder be fore-warned you will end up making/fabricating many of your parts and you have to either be a machinist have friend that will work for free or have access to a machine shop to do that---good luck "come in the waters fine"
This is very true. I thought my engine would have a decent array of performance parts, because of the interest in the SRT4. Well I soon learned that if it doesn't have a turbo and a manual trans. You were on your own.
The first 2 years I ran my car I used an intake manifold from a dodge caravan. And cams that would check legal in a stocker. Camshafts were almost not available for a N/A engine (nobody had cores) My exhaust cam is a stock cam that has been welded to increase lift,
Things as simple as a 2 step were a challange. I had a trans brake made one of 2 in the world. My final drive (rear end gearing to you RWD guys) ratio is 3.94, and thats with custom made gears.
But little by little I'm getting it sorted out. I have had some help from the soft index. But with the amount of one-of's I need I deserve it.