View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #25
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts
Default Re: Question on SS/AH & AH/SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hill View Post
The comparison was brought up between AH/SM and the other SM classes. An A/SMA is 400 in at 2750 lb, once you factor the 250 lb reduction for an automatic, that's 6.875 lb/in. An AH/SM would be 150 lb lighter at 6.875 lb/in than at 7.2 lb/in. So you take the 8.53 A/SMA index and add 0.15 for the weight (maybe a hundredth or two less?) you get 8.68, only 0.07 faster than the current AH/SM index. Does anybody really think all of the stuff you can do in the base SM classes over a Hemi car is worth that little?
I'm catching some grief, it's okay because I actually agree that the index needs adjustment. I do react poorly to pushback and need to be mindful of how it affects others.

Just for grins, lets pretend I own a Super Stock Modified Cobalt and I'm exploring moving to Comp. I would do a quick comparison of classes between Comp and Super Stock with virtually identical weight breaks and rules.

Lbs/ci_____SS class-Index____Comp class-Index_____Change+/-
7.5________SS/AM--9.00______A/SM--8.45_________-.55

8.5________SS/BM--9.20______B/SM--8.66_________ -.54

9.5________SS/CM--9.50______E/SM--9.10_________ -.40

10.5_______SS/DM--9.75______G/SM--9.33_________ -.42

So, if we look at Hemi cars:

7.2________SS/AH--9.60______AH/SM--8.75_________-.85
Lets try 9.05:
7.2________SS/AH--9,60______AH/SM--(9.05)________-.65

On it's face this makes 9.05 look like a number that didn't get pulled out of thin air. But we need to consider the SS/AH index could be a little "soft" compared to SS Modified. How far under in Super Stock do the typical SS Modified cars qualify versus SS/AH. That will define how "soft" the relative indexes might be.

Andrew, you mentioned the Nitro Joe Stats, Five cars in AH/SM. All at national events? That's 5 races with Hemi cars, or five different cars at races?
So, what does a SS/AH racer do? Tough call. Show up in Comp and hope you get past first round and run all out, or run Super Stock and try to try to run a dial in for more rounds?
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked