View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #284
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Modified Eliminator Wars in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
modified ran off of the national record then later on off of an "index" type of racing--there was no breakout flat out first guy there wins---NHRA are you listening???--it was **x** number of pounds per cubic inch classification-- It was modified production/gas classes--any way a few guys me included figured that some of the Gas classes had either a better record(softer) to run off of and the weights/pounds per cubic inch might be more favorable to them--Modified production cars could cross over and run in the gas classes but a gasser could not run as an MP because of the rules limitations---287 CI to 339 inches-- 4/5 speed trans --600/717 geared rear ends --3200-3700 pounds --flat out from the water box to the finish line---NO BS racing --you had to live it and see it --nothing like it exists today
If I recall correctly, back when the cars ran off the national record, you had a .10 of a second cushion, i.e., if your car ran one-tenth of a second below the record during eliminations, you lost except in the final round where it was an all-out run where your ET became the new national record in your class.

Or did this apply only to Stock and Super Stock Eliminators? I'd have to dig out my old car mags to double check something I'd don't feel like doing at the moment 'cause I've got my feet up on the edge of my desk and relaxing.

Pete

Last edited by mopar68; 09-13-2018 at 06:34 PM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote