View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Aubrey N Bruneau

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Aubrey N Bruneau
Default Re: enclosed trailer with 15" tires?

Not to stir the pot... but I might as well be the one to approach this from a different point of view.
Now, my trailer isn't enclosed, so that may be some, or all the difference ?... or maybe no difference at all.
I approach car trailers with the "prime diective" first and foremost.
"Prime directive" : the lower the loaded deck is to the ground, the better the trailer... ;period.
I designed and built the trailer in 1992., uses a pair of 3500 pound "flexi-ride" axles, with the brake drums custom drilled for proper 4 3/4 Chevy bolt pattern.
Mine is a fifth wheel ( not a goofy gooseneck )... 20 ft deck surface, 6 ft over the truck.
Weighs 1900 pounds empty. Car is 3500, and I carry about 300 pounds of additional "stuff" on the trailer ( the HEAVY stuff... tools, floor jack, ect, are carried on my truck ).
With the car on, everything fueled, ready to go, the unit weighs:
front axle... 2850
dually axle... 4500
trailer axles... 4450
I have driven this unit seasonally, across the continent a number of times, through the BC rockies, often carrying a car that is 300-400 pounds heavier .
I have never done anything more to the trailer, other than maintain brakes and bearings ( yeah, light repairs too ! ).
The loaded deck ( surface that the car tires sit on ), is 12 inches off the ground.
Bought it's second set of tires about 7 years ago.
The wheels and tires ?
Stock 1964 Chevrolet 14" X 5" steel wheels, with 205 70 14 tires.
Do I "drive" it ?
If you've ever been behind me through Rogers Pass or around Golden... you'd know it's not driven like a farm truck !