View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Dan Bennett

Liked 363 Times in 83 Posts
Default Re: To Tell the Truth

Paul: Your reply got me thinking. If the 340 was refactored before it ever hit an NHRA event, how did that happen? I've heard stories of how sharp the Farmer was but I doubt he'd set a factor just by reading a magazine article or two. Did he look at the specs and come pretty close to the real HP? Big difference between now and then!

Moose: I'm with you on the 440 Six Pack. The ones around here were pretty quick indeed. But I'm thinking it worked the other way with the 340 Six Pack. I don't think that engine, as produced, needed anywhere near that much carb - and that was just about the only real modification they made. Especially since they were only in the heavier E body, I'd bet they didn't want anything to do with a 340 Dart or Duster.

We had a pretty active street scene around here even though it was a small town. Two friends used to duke it out numerous times a week. Eddie had a 66 427/425 Corvette and Fred had a 66 Coronet Hemi 4 spd. Both were pretty capable with a wrench.

It was fun to watch since neither car could claim bragging rights. One car would win 3 out of 4 on the street but the other would win 3 out of 4 at the strip. I honestly can't remember which was which other than I'd bet the Corvette had the street advantage since the independent rear would squat and probably hook better on an unprepared surface.

Even though I can't remember either car winning by more than a fender, this was long before redlights and who knows about a street start. They sure were a joy to watch.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote