View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
The tire would show some sort of abnormal wear if the axle was out of alignment. If the tire is wearing the tread fairly even and not featheredged across the tread it's good. Trailer loading definitely might be a factor. More weight on one wheel is possible....

The type and quality of grease made a huge difference for me years ago on a trailer I had. It was eating bearings and only had 3500lb axles on a 22' box trailer. It would routinely trash a bearing and I was not towing long distances. It got to the point that every trip I made to the track I jacked the trailer up with car unloaded to feel the bearings. I carried complete new sets with seals.

I started using synthetic waterproof grease and never had a failure again.
That was a fairly new product at the time and was far better than the usual stuff.

My present trailer has Nev-r-lube sealed bearing cartridges......I've replaced them once for no other reason than I felt better with new. I kept the old ones for spares......

Blown tires and burned up bearings on the road makes for a rough trip.....been there....
From looking on the internet at pictures of the bearing race I removed the last time it seems to look like one posted from a bearing cage failure.
I am not sure what would make a cage fail but the softer material the cage is made out of is imbedded and stuck to the outer race like was shown in the photo's.

I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic wheel bearing grease.
Even after the failure the grease was still clean looking and still red except in the bearing are where it was hot and it was discolored there but did not smell burnt even though it was hot and smoking when I noticed the failure.

I am going to rebuild both hubs on the axle with new USA made Timken bearings, install new hubs on both sides, and new brake assemblies. I am also going to move the rear axle tires to the front axle and replace the one that has failed twice now with the spare tire.
I am at a loss on anything else to do.
Anyone else have other suggestions.
I will try most anything once.
Thanks
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote