View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: crate motor comp

I'd like to see Ford's overhead cam V-8 in comp, or for that matter, any OHC V-8. I observed the comp teams with 4-cylinder OHC wouldn't remove a valve cover during an entire event. Not only is the maintenance cost a little lower, there is less risk of catastrophic engine failure.
If the OHC is integrated into existing classes, they might eventually need a weight penalty. Without pushrods limiting the intake port design, they could eventually exceed the power of the well developed splayed valve SBC. The OHC Ford's peak rpm potential hasn't been approached either. But the spending admittedly would eventually meet or exceed what the current teams pay.
A separate class for dragsters with supercharged Factory Stock engines, or dedicated crate engine? A hard tail dragster chassis would be cheaper than a COPO or CJ roller. The engine costs could be contained for a few years.
I remember a proposal for a crate motor comp class in the late 90's. It was overwhelmingly voted down by existing teams. But that was when 32 car fields were filled, and money was looser. Maybe the attitude would be different this time.
As an outsider looking in, it has appeal. Comp could use a few new outsiders.