* Model 220 4-Door Station Wagon
* Model 440 2-Door Sedan
* Model 440 4-Door Sedan
* Model 440 4-Door Station Wagon
* Model 440 2-Door Hardtop
* Model Rogue 2-Door Hardtop
* Model Rogue Convertible

Standard with the 290/225 HP Engine
* 3.15 Gears (3.54 were optional at No Charge)
* 10" Flanged Drum Brakes

Note; Though Power Disc Brakes were available, the drum brakes worked fine for stopping.

Only 58 of the Rambler Americans (Model 440 or Rogue) came equipped with the 343/280 HP 'Typhoon Engine'

1967 Production Numbers with the 343 'Typhoon'

* Model 440 (2-Door Sedan),,,,,,,,,,,,,10
* Model 440 (2-Door Hardtop),,,,,,,,,,,8
* Rogue (2-Door Hardtop),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,33
* Rogue (Convertibles),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,7
Paul,

I'm new here, and I have owned 2 of (what us AMC-folks refer to them as) the American "X-code" cars... Americans with the 343-engine had an "X" in the VIN-code. I have never found documentation validating the numbers you mentioned above, with the breakdown of how many 343's were installed in each model of the American... can you tell me where those numbers came from?

A couple of other notes. The "Super American" term was actually coined by an author of a magazine article, rather than by the factory... AMC never used this term (that I could find anyways). Also, the reference to broken windshields, actually occurred with the sedans rather than the hardtops. The theory is that the sedans made the top more rigid, forcing the "flex-point" to be in the windshield-area, as opposed to the hardtops, where the flex tended to be absorbed across the entire roof.

And to another question posted... the 343 Americans could be ordered by anyone walking in, and placing an order... as a matter of fact, every single "X-code" American that was built in 1967, were Customers' order cars. I ordered my first one, the very first work day of 1967... a black/black Rogue, 343, 4-speed, from Plummer Motors in Swanton, Ohio.

And lastly, although not mentioned so far. There (generally) is a consensus that these were only available as 4-speed cars... which likely was true for those available to the general public after January 1 1967. There is one known automatic 343 equiped American built in October of 1966... which is currently being restored on a rotisserie, in my garage.
67RogueX-code is offline   Reply With Quote