View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
barracuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I'm new here: Super Comp/Top Comp dragsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown hemi 526 View Post
Hi Jennifer,

To pay someone 1,500 per race when you think about it is not that bad of a deal. IF the only thing you have to do is show up and race !!

If the car is being trailered to the tracks - say they have room in the hotel room. Then absolutely it's worth it.
You dont have to buy a new truck, trailer, pay insurance, maint of everything, maint on the race car, gas, tolls etc etc etc.
If you drive 500 miles to a race you have to go back home too - thats 4-500 in fuel cost alone - add in the tolls, at least 100. Hotel for divisional 4 days at 100 day and nats 5 days. There is another 4-500.
That alone is 1,000. So you will be paying these costs out of your pocket if you do it by yourself. If you break it down you can see it is not so bad.
Think about it - run the following
New Dragster you want - lowball 30k - high 45-50k
Truck - pile of crap 10k - new 45-50k
Trailer - pile of crap 5k new 20-50k
Motor - crap 7500 - new pretty good 20k
trans 5k
conv 1k
headers 1k
firesuit 1k
tools
all equipment
and the list goes on and on and on.

So you can see you can spend 70,000 doing it cheap and you have not moved yet. Pay the hotel and tolls like I said and proved is 1,000. So realistically you are leasing a car for 500 a race.

Oh by the way - there is a ton of other expenses I forgot to add that I cannot think of. So if you are starting from scratch might be something to entertain for a year or two and then see what happens. Like I said it will only be costing you the 500 and in true facts less than that.

Best of luck.

The reason I don't see that as a hell of a deal is because I'm not a weekend warrior. I want to race every weekend that there is a race. Also, I already have a truck, trailer, suit, etc, etc,. I just don't have the dragster.

I just spoke with several people and my uncle who used to race top dragsters and TAD and they said "Don't lease. it's a rip off" some people said they used to lease theirs for $1500 and they made alot of money from that deal.. So I'll stick with that. We're building one.

Thanks Guys!!
barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote