View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #1069
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
put it back together with new bearings put the CORRECT amount of oil in it fire it up on the dyno then after a few minutes shut it off--- pull the pan see if it has foam--- then turn it over and pop off the rod caps from 5 & 6 see if they look bad --while you are at it may as well check the others too maybe use a "regular" filter instead of that new fancy one you have see if that makes a difference---- might want to check your oil pressure from that small plug front of the engine on top of the block near the timing cover thats the last place that sees oil
I already know what happened, the volume drop at the end of the line (rods) was the cause. I had no idea the solid lifters would pump so much more oil to the top coupled with the pressure drop from the EDM holes AND the block being machined for cam oiling in the lifter bores just didn't leave enough volume for the rods, my fault. The filter used was a "regular" filter, and yes checking oil at the front of the block would have been more ideal.