View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #90
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

[QUOTE=Lenny5160;578069]Can you quote where Whisman said anything like this? That he likes drag racing so all Millennials do?

It was pretty clear to me that he said he likes it, but he knows it is dying so he will enjoy it while he can. He didn't attempt to project his enjoyment of the sport onto anyone else.

You appear to be so rock hard to attack a real live Millennial that you don't really care what he actually said.[/QUOTE

So what prompts him to take on the burden to "defend his generation"? Defend them against what? I think it's pretty rational to assume he thinks he's defending them against the claim that none of them like cars or racing. He makes the point that HE likes Super Stock racing; my question is "So what? What relevant point can be made (in defense of millennials) based upon the fact that YOU like drag racing?"

I totally get that the young man is trying to say "Don't paint us all with the same brush", but that logic depends on a reality that a reasonable percentage of your group isn't like the group as a whole. If there were hundreds of millennials in car clubs, driving street rods, drag racing, etc. I would be full of s**t, but that simply isn't the case. Auto racing is rapidly becoming the hobby of old guys.

I don't dislike the young man or his attempt to stick-up for his fellow young people. Just don't make an argument based on the assumptive implication that one person proves the exception to the rule. Fact is, young people don't have anywhere near the attraction to cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. that their parents and grandparents did. That doesn't make them wrong, but it also doesn't make observing that reality wrong, either.

Last edited by nhramnl; 12-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote