View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: # of axle splines in an E-body stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopinGhost View Post
So just wondering here, by adding a back brace, what direction does the housing tend to bend to without a brace ?

I looked at complete Dana 60 assemblies. Strange and Moser both have them. Roughly $ 2200. Quality wise, does either stand out ? After thinking about it, I don't think I'd be ok with a "used" assembly
I know that a strange unit went in the dakota to replace the 8.75 when I spent the dough on A&A protrans......They are both excellent and support the racers. Which one is closer for the freight savings?

Not to complicate your decision, but I pitted across from a index racer at the dutch who replaces his 8.75 r&p every 300 runs, not pro gear, as you can't get the 4.88 to my knowledge. I think he said $200 bucks or so at a whack.

Your other consideration is the 60 versus 8.75 resistance, I haven't found it to be different, and the weight difference especially going from drum to disc was nada.

60's now in the entire fleet: 70 challenger like yours, but a stick, dakota, dragpak, and the idle 72 which is waiting for some love. All are 40 spline but the 72 which is a 35.

I still have my complete 8.75 rear end 4.88 Moser axles downstairs at work. Might even be the Ebody width!

Eric

Eric