View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 01:08 AM   #4

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: Worker's Comp sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Silverman View Post
First of all, without question, thank you for your service and dedication. The people you serve should be proud to have you protecting them!

That said - why the (expletive deleted) are you tying to go through this by YOURSELF? Shouldn't someone at your department be working FOR YOU to see that you are properly cared for? This was a Line of Duty (LOD) injury, so there must be someone at your city/county/state whose ONLY job is working LOD and insurance claims, so why are YOU, the injured party, having to jump through flaming (expletive deleted) hoops to have your injuries seen to properly? Why wasn't someone from your Union or the FOP on the telephone immediately asking "What can WE do for YOU"? In most departments and municipal governments LOD injuries are taken VERY SERIOUSLY, as they effect the insurance premiums they pay (tax money!) and these are just the kind of incidents that are tracked at the State/Federal level (the higher the payouts the more scrutiny the department receives).

Hopefully the doctors you see on the 11th will know how to properly read an MRI and can give you an accurate prognosis.

Shouldn't you now be on some form of Sick or Administrative Leave? Unless you are losing "hours" because of your injuries, you shouldn't be receiving "workman's compensation". That normally only happens when all other forms of compensation have been exhausted. Many folks purchase supplemental insurance (think the AFLAC duck!) to make-up for lost income during an extended period away from work.

Hope you get things worked out soon!
My sentiments exactly.

And thank you, but I knew what I was signing up for, to include the risk of stuff like this.

And I'm getting paid, and paid well, one way or another. That's not an issue. I'm a high-school dropout that makes well into six figures. They should pay me for the time that I'm out injured, but I have tons of sick pay saved up, so I'll get paid, either way.

If I'm out beyond the 15th, I'll begin losing overtime shifts that I had volunteered for, which not only affects my income, but also affects my retirement, which is based on my income. That is an issue.

I too, would have expected people to bend over backwards to take care of me, given what I do. I don't do it for the "atta-boys". I do it because it's the right thing to do. I do it because God has equipped me to stand up for people who cannot stand up for themselves.

But so far that hasn't been the case. The medics with the ambulance that responded to the scene, wanted to transport me. But my immediate supervisor ordered me to drive myself to the Emergency Room. After I was released from the ER, I still had to complete my reports, even though I couldn't type with both hands. It's pretty apparent, that my employer is only concerned with limiting their own liability- they only want to be able to show that they made reasonable efforts to provide me medical care.

Last edited by 6130; 05-09-2018 at 01:14 AM.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote