View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts
Default Re: True Class War: Pros, Cons, and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664SSJA View Post
Somebody better in the know than me might be able to clear something up for me.

I seem to remember that there WAS a CORVETTE that could have run with the AH cars, but it was not allowed in and then they made some change in the rules to keep that Corvette, ( and probably any others out) keeping it just all Hemi cars.

Am I right? And who was the Corvette??????

Mark
There were TWO 1967 L-88 Corvettes from Tennessee. One was from Murfreesboro, owned and driven by Tony Rhodes. The other was from the Nashville area, owned by Scott Wilcox, and often driven by Mike Lynch. Both ran SS/A. Tony Rhodes still has his car, just like it last ran. Not sure where Scott Wilcox's car went, but I'm sure some of the local SS racers like Jimmy Bridges and Kenny Schindler will know.

I was told by an NHRA official that some of the Mopar guys went to NHRA and complained that not enough 1967 L-88 Corvettes were built. NHRA gave the Corvette guys a year to come up with documentation, but GM said only 36 were built and sold in 1967. I think the story is also posted some where on class racer, but I could not find it when I searched for it.

At one time, not long ago, there were at least two, and possibly three, REAL 1967 L-88 Corvettes within 50-100 miles of here. One is of somewhat questionable heritage, but the other two were very real. Seems odd that there would be only 36 built, but two would be within 100 miles of each other. But GM provided documentation for only 36, so that appears to be it.

Back before any real Super Stock cars had run a legal eight second pass in qualifying or competition, there were a couple of articles about the "race to the eights". Mostly there were Hemi cars in the articles, but one article had a side bar featuring Tony Rhodes black SS/A 67 Corvette calling him the "dark horse".