View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
troublemaker427

Liked 65 Times in 23 Posts
Default Optional Super Stock Indy 1961

I have a question I hope some of you folks on this site can help me with. I've been researching the 1961 Indy Nationals and specifically Super Stock.. I have obtained a 1961 program that contains the entries but is not broken down into classes. I know they ran a class called Optional Super Stock which basically was the forerunner to AFX. Did they also run SS and the cars with the latest updated engine "packages" run O/SS or did O/SS cover all of the cars eligible for SS? Is a breakdown available of eliminations in O/SS anywhere? I've been trying to find a 1961 National Dragster with the event coverage but I haven't found one yet. The Hot Rod/Car Craft coverage of the event only hits the highlights and only mentions both Dyno and Beswick were DQ for unapproved parts.
I feel in many ways the O/SS class at Indy in 1961 was a very historical event. It basically opened NHRA's eyes to how popular SS racing was to become. It also was the "breakout" event for Chryslers drag racing program with the success of the Ramchargers there.

I'd really like to learn more about that event but photos and detailed coverage is hard to find. Any help you guys may offer is appreciated.
troublemaker427 is offline   Reply With Quote