View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #18
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
Smile Re: WCFB carb problem. Oil pressure ?

Mark Jones and Mark Yacavonne just let me know about this thread. SO, I decided to take a moment and toss my 2 pennies in the hat.

A carbureted system requiring abnormally fuel pressure is generally a description of some other problem occurring. A lot depends on needle and seat sizes or other issues, but there should be no need to run over 6 - 6.5psi on WCFBs that are properly done. Also if abnormally high fuel pressure is required, it is perhaps an indication of a poor overall fuel delivery system. And there are lots of those out there. Perhaps there is a restriction somewhere in the system?

Of course, your experiences may vary.

FWIW as a comparison of carburetor float bowl capacities (total for each listing) :

Holley - center hung floats - 0.066gal
Carter WCFB - standard floats - 0.066gal
Rochester 4GC - standard floats - 0.068gal
Rochester QJ - small float - 0.022gal
Figure about 80% of the numbers above as usable.

If you multiply the SG of the fuel times the volumes above yields the fuel in pounds. Planning for a need of about .5 to .6lbs per hp-hr should give you some food for thought. Example - 100Hp takes 50lbs of fuel per hour, etc. At idle, the power required to twist all the whirly stuff is perhaps 10 - 12Hp or less......not much fuel required there at all.

Regards to All that like this kind of stuff,
HB2
Dissident
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote