View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,784 Times in 1,522 Posts
Default Re: Under the index for under a grand!

Bob, Bob, Rick and Tony, I appreciate the offers but I am going to try and stick to my plan of "diming" it together myself to see if it can be done.
I spent the day in the shop taking apart the rear and pulling out the power brakes to change it over. As there aren't very many manual brake S-10s laying around anymore, I'm making up a few pieces to convert the GP. Hopefully tomorrow I'll take some pics of what's needed to SAFELY do the job.
I scored a good used 4.56 gearset and a 2 series posi unit with spacer for $100 bucks so that should pretty well get this thing rolling. Now I know that it's not the optimal thing to use but the price is right and it's only going to (hopefully) be a high 14 second car that doesn't weigh a whole lot so maybe it'll live a while.
I got a pair of 15X 8 wagon wheels and a pair of 15x 4 sparetire wheels out of the wheel pile at a local salvage yard(they don't like to be called junk yards anymore). I have an old set of 8.5x 26 M/T slicks that I won't use again and dragged home a pair of 26" tall M/T fronts from along side of the M/T trailer a couple of years ago so, after buying a can of black paint, I'm set with wheels and tires for $35.
As it's snowing like crazy outside, I'm hoping to get a fair amount done in the next couple of days.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked