Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #71
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 689 Times in 132 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Cool Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Jim, she just turned 17. I had this discussion with Rich 2 years ago about what NHRA calls the "Winston rule" is obviously outdated and ridiculous, and he stated the insurance companies are in part to blame as well but NHRA was looking into it. So as I understand it, this rule omits any driver at a national event UNDER the age of 18. And as you can imagine, the sight of Tanner Gray rewriting the rulebook has been a little more than discouraging for many kids waiting or had to wait, my daughter and many of her friends Dan Young, Hannah Line etc. So we are, by this rule, hung out to dry for 1 year. Now that may not seem like a big deal, but these kids will not continue to race full time, as my previous example Dan Young is already missing races due to school and career building, so they miss that year and the NHRA has to HOPE they don't find another hobby between now and later in life when money and time free up.

Per NHRA:
Minimum age rule for national event competitors
1/14/2013
"A reminder that, all competitors at NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series events are required to be 18 years of age or older. The rule went into effect in 2008 as part of the Master Settlement Agreement, which was reached in 1998 between states and the tobacco industry.

This policy includes any driver in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series or the NHRA Summit Racing Series held in conjunction with NHRA Mello Yellow Drag Racing Series events. Drivers must be a minimum 18 or older by the first day of registration at the event".
I am familiar with this but I understood that they had relaxed that to allow as I stated in my above post. Maybe you should contact Glendora about it. It couldn't hurt. We allow racers who become 18 anytime in the current race season. Only makes sense. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote