View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #26
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

(Mid November)
I have some parts ordered to get the front end work done, turns out doing an AMC car is not quite as easy as opening a catalog or making a list from an internet site.
Since I work at a NAPA store, getting the regular suspension and steering replacement pieces wasn't that bad, but trying to get the trick shocks and springs took some research. Turns out I did OK on the shocks, which are the same type as a lot of Mustangs from way back when, but the springs turned out to be a problem. Despite a well known Florida company's listings that say they fit the early Fords from the '70's along with 71-up Javelins, Hornets, Gremlins, Spirits and such--they don't work. The spring holders on the upper control arms require a much larger diameter spring distance across the bottom to fit in right. The top coil diameter would have worked, so I guess they were half good for my application. I had to leave the 4 cyl original coil springs in place for now until I get something figured out, may see about a re-work on my spare upper A-arms I have from the '80 car to move the spring perches inward at some later time. The rest of the pieces like bushings and ball joints went in place as expected.
I have a whole new appreciation for mechanics who do front end work day after day. Dirty hard work! Hats off to you guys.

Since I'm being loaned a bay in an auto shop, getting the car mobile as soon as possible so it can move out if the bay if needed is kind of primary. I'm not putting the new steering parts on just yet, need to concentrate on getting the cross member switched out and everything that attaches to it back together ASAP so the body can at least become a roller again.
You'll notice the similarity of the bad wheel alignment of the red car to how the blue one ended up in previous pictures once the cross member came out. Once the lower control arms come out of it, they just flop everywhere.
This part of the build is no fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20151123_130442.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	32100   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20151123_130513.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	32101   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20151123_155147.jpg