View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 02:21 AM   #21
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

(Catching up to late October)
Got underneath the red Spirit and initially things look pretty solid other than a place in the floor right behind the driver seat. Wonder if the mangy possum nest I found there had anything to do with that?
Loaded her up on the trailer and took it into the auto shop for a real good going-over. Very solid underneath as it turns out, so the Ziebart people did well on this one. Found their sticker on the driver door jamb.

Now we've got something very suitable to work with. This car is an original manual steering manual brake stick car, so its a great platform to use. There will have to be one important piece changed right at the beginning, and it's a monumental headache. I know this because I've done one before. On AMC cars you have to have the proper engine cross member in place for the type of engine you're wanting or the engine mounts won't line up. The 4 cyl one will have to come out and be replaced with the 6 cyl one out of the blue 80 car. The nasty part of this is that the lower control arms bolt into this cross member, and to remove those means removing almost everything else suspension related first. And I'll get to do this TWICE! Get out the breaker bars...
The blue 80 car now gets parted out so I can use a lot of things off it. And here we go. You'll notice that when the dirty work was done it was just a little bit hard to steer due to an "alignment problem". Getting the hulk back up on the trailer took a while!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20150911_175112.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	32075   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn-2.jpeg
Views:	420
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	32076   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn-3.jpeg
Views:	419