View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #99
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts
Default Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
How does it work going the other way?? Like a 69 Vette body W/L-88 fresh air hood and a '66 327 engine that was not equipped with fresh air... would that be allowed in GT classes? It seems to me like the precedent is already set. It has already been done/allowed with the 69 Camaro running cowl induction hoods with non fresh air engine combos in Stock, SS and SS/GT. Is a Mopar and Fomoco "forward facing scoop" really a different application than some of the cowl or rear facing fresh air systems from other MFG's? It's all about cool clean air, no matter how you get it.
The way I read the rule book using a fresh air body with a non fresh air engine should be allowed.
Because:
1. When you pick a body for the GT class It says nothing in the rules about limiting the bodies to non fresh air applications.
2. When you pick an engine. It clearly says under engine:1 V-8 only; must be same make as body.Year optional. Engine must be listed in both the NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide and NHRA Blueprint Bulletins. Again it says nothing about limiting it to non Fresh Air engines

GT classes Mix combinations of bodies and engines. If it is allowed one way, it should be allowed going the other way. .

I really don't see that there is a problem with any "Body Package" that was produced by a MFG running any "Engine Combination" that was produced by the same MFG. as long as they are listed in the applicable NHRA guides.
Maybe we should go back as far as the inception of the GT Classes to see the "intent". Which I thought was to allow the mixing of SS engine combos and body combinations that weren't available with each other. Our resident GT historian Don Kennedy might be able to shine a little more light on the reason for GT Classes.
If I recall when I submitted the rules for the GT classes.the only change is the engine .now if the body came with a scoop then that was allowed , no body parts could not be moved from one car the old one ,to the new body now there are hoods that were made for special applications to be put on a certain body for racing as an example My Sunfire. Pontiac had a private company make hoods for road racing .then .the road racing endeavor did not materialize . Now Pontiac is no longer in business . There is a lot of examples like this by the manufacturers I have a letter saying the Hood was made for Pontiac from the main Pontiac executive that was involved with the racing

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 10-16-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Don Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote