View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #97
DeuceCoupe

Liked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
Mancini, Wren, and McCandless were all steel nose, 12.5:1 Race Hemi's with two four barrels. There is a photo of Mancini's car from Dallas that year, where you can clearly see two Holley's on a crossram. The Mancini and McCandless cars were 440 Sedans, Wren's car was a Hardtop Fury.

Dave Koffel told me that he gave the direction for these cars to be built for these classes. He also stated that the car Herb built was slated to be driven by Vaughn Currie.

Chrysler submitted bogus paperwork to NHRA to get these cars legalized with those combinations, as none were ever built on the assembly line in those trims. The Mancini car was an original 318 car, the Wren car was a 383, and I am unsure of what Herb built the other car out of.

That being said, where did you find class results for Indy in 1969? I was always under the impression that there was no class contested, and that they took the fastest cars for the Eliminator that year?

Steve,
Thanks so much for that quick reply- that clarifies it all.

Drag News 6 Sep 1969 pg13 & 20 lists:
"In Super Stock qualifying these cars came out on top"
Then for each class they list a car, a 2nd, (which I took as R/U), and an Alternate (which I'd assume was not the R/U but the car the winner had beat just before the R/U).
Kinda strangely worded so what you said makes sense.

Basically the Hemi cars won all the upper classes 1-2-3, and the 428CJ cars won all the lower classes 1-2-3, with just a couple 427 Fords and Chevys and Shirley Shahan's AMX mixed in there. That was when the 428 "Canadian CJ" heads first appeared and it showed. And then I got confused about all those Hemi combos.

x2 on the bogus paperwork back then - I've seen Ford's letter to NHRA stating that you could get a 427 Ford with auto trans. No way. Other than the very few T-Bolts and Lightweight Galaxies, they were all 4-speeds. But the 427 LoRiser was more competitive with an auto trans behind it, hence the Ford letter.

Last edited by DeuceCoupe; 10-14-2020 at 11:28 AM.
DeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote