View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 944 Times in 260 Posts
Default Re: Stock seat clarification please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
You sir are a perfect example of the type of person I was speaking of in my previous post! Thanks for your post. You actually would prefer your 26 year old stock seat made for comfort over a racing seat made for crash survival? I bet you don't think you really need a helmet either. To bad they won't let you wear that chrome WW2 German motorcycle helmet you think looks so cool! Jim

I guess my factory 26 year old seats were good enough to pass whatever crash impact standards were in place when my Mustang was new. The seat frames and tracks are all steel, and held together with fairly sturdy brackets and fasteners. I do have "race" seats in my bracket car, somehow I doubt that the 4 threaded mounting inserts molded into the seat base are as strong as the factory stuff. I think the "race" seat agenda for most people is for weight savings, at least in my opinion. Personally, I wish Stock was more like it was at least 15 or 20 more years ago, no lightweight race brakes, wheelie bars, aftermarket aluminum heads, etc. I was one of the (few?) who was actually hoping NHRA was going to be pulling pistons and rods, and weighing them, as well pouring heads for runner volume, funny how so many people claimed to have "untouched, origional factory castings that were bigger than the SUPER STOCK specs'!
I know that I am not alone in thinking that Stock Eliminator has gone way, way, too leinient will the rules and the "enhanchments" some vocal racers have been claiming they need to be competetive with the "Brand X, Y, Z" cars. I never met "Farmer" Dismuke, but he certainly sounds like the kind of guy that strived to keep the STOCK in Stock Eliminator. Too bad his hard line on the rulebook has been so erroded over the years. Sometimes It seems that Stock is headed to become nothing more than a small tire bracket class, without a hood scoop. I don`t think thats a good thing, do you? Also, since you are so worried about crashing, I`m sure that all your bumper hardware, door guard beams, and undercarrige bracing still intact, right?