View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #126
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: IHRA Ends Stock & Super Stock Racing

[quote=tim kish;547573]everybody going back and forth with ideas in hindsight and pointing blame all the way back to billy meyer 30 years ago for where ihra is today - no one in this forum is accepting the blame themselves! I started campaigning my own super stocker in 2005-2006, back then there were over 900 cars entered at indy each year (full fields with people waiting) and the ihra northern nationals at 131 had over 620 race cars on the property for the event (box/no box bracket was part of the event that year but their field was limited to i believe it was 50 cars each). In 10 years where are all the cars and those racers, where did they go? There are still plenty of s/ss racers out there, in nhra div 3 you'll still today draw over 200 s/ss cars to a divisional event. So the cars are still there - in the same region if an nmca or ihra event only draws 20-40 total s/ss cars where were the other 150+ cars? Plenty of excuses get thrown around - having a $100k car but can only afford to race 1 weekend a month probably isn't a valid one.... If we the racers didn't participate in ihra or nmca events and they go away (not saying nmca is but 16 car fields aren't worth their effort either) it's our own damn fault.

The other key problem is the affordability of go fast technology. Back in it's prime stock/super stock racing wasn't easy nor cheap in relative tearms but it was attainable and the smiles per dollar was realistic. Fast forward to today. Based on the rules having to limit their evolution so the legacy participants aren't chased away the rate at which the performance of the cars increased didn't keep up with available technology. The performance most certainly did increase and rules changes we've all beat to death have been made but not proportionate to the investment. We've seen the dime rockets but the majority of the speed junkies don't want to race a 1980 chevy pickup or cadillac deville they want mustangs, camaros and challengers (old or new) so now you have a $100k+ investment. Given current technology that same $100k can get you as much as a couple seconds faster than any stocker or even most super stockers are capable. We know in general our sport is filled with hot rodders with penis envy - what attraction is there to build a stock / super stock car today? Ricky bobby said it - "i just wanna go fast". For me, my dad raced super stock and it's what i grew up wanting to do. Sadly someone who didn't grow up with that predisposition to the grandeur of what class racing used to be and what a class win meant can't appreciate the same investment and way more work to build a car that goes slower than a twin turbo combo is whatever chassis you strap it to. The travel expenses to run just the nhra races in your division (7-8 races) plus the entry fees far exceed what most local bracket racers spend in a year to race every weekend april to sept) and the annual maintenance of their car.. It's pretty simple economics if you don't have the specific passion to field a class car that your a fool to do it![/quote

LIKE!

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote