View Single Post
Old 08-26-2023, 07:00 AM   #14
Cglrcng

Liked 129 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: A 30 year journey, and a 2nd chance.

Yeah. (Every part ever removed except the recently replaced pistons I have on the shelf or floor in my garage).

Ok back to 1993, first thing to go The A/C Compressor hoses/dryer off, Save the A/C and Alt. mount (combo weight box/torque strap is mounted in the A/C bracket under hood and in front of R.F. spindle). Box is steel and weighs 14 lbs empty holds 30 plus lbs lead.

Deleted the Cast Iron Exhaust Manifold, CA, EGR smog stuff and a certain Item 3 letter item I will not mention, Replaced with a Chrysler Ramcharger style Hooker 2.2L Long primary tube Header, added O2 Bung and Bosch 1 wire O2 Sensor back.

Cracked open in those days the Direct Connection Catalog and they still had then lotsa go faster a little at a time dealer orderable pcs....For the A-413 Transaxle (lowest set of side case gears avail. at the time, a great trans builder friend of mine in Torrance, CA did miracles reworking the 1st and 2nd gearsets to lower the final gear ratio (it takes time to figure out what is available, and what is best to use with each other (and the complete 3 book Service Manual Set that the Dealers used back then is the best place to start, I did not have a set then, but do now), but not enough to tear up the unequal half shafts.(I have damaged a couple of smaller front axles or boots over time, but recently learned to rebuild/reboot my own).

I bought the D.C. Forward pattern valve body shift kit and also did the modifications myself with a little help to improve it greatly. Another Racer by the name of Lee sold me a barely used set of 20" tall X 6" W X 14" Rim sized M.T. E.T Slicks with plenty of rubber still on them (it is not the rubber, I rarely even drive through the water at all, it is all about the gearing lower of the final gear ratio the slow sled needs.

(Someone back then I think, either Bill O'Connor or Lee brought me a full set of damaged equal length half shafts w/ a broken Carrier Bearing from a turbo edition, still in a box on the lower shelf, never repaired it yet, but if I ever get it to go really fast, might be worth doing).

Also think If I remember correctly in Phoenix in 95, that Bill O'Connor gave me a pretty much stock slider cam in great shape and a little bit more lift than the 1 I had and I tried it once in Houston during a rainout, I dialed it in and tested it a few passes on a T-N-T day playing both adv. and ret., and switched back the morning the National event resumed.

I also picked up from D.C.all the necessary tools to get the cam correct, solid adj. lifter, an adj. TDC finder that screws into the #1 spark plug hole, Made my own degree wheel pointer, 8 Moroso lightweight checking springs, Degree wheel and adapter and addl. Crank Bolt, the correct tool to adjust the timing belt that is counterweighted, and of course carry with me all the measuring instruments to use head on or head off the block.

Next up was to remove the cold air box completely, just removing the element does not improve it much on the Single Point TBI edition.

Those minor items netted me about 4/10ths to about .500 under the 17.45 Index.
Cglrcng is offline   Reply With Quote