Thread: Comp 101
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Comp 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClaytor View Post
I love comp racing. I only wish I had the money to do it.

Maybe someone can answer this for me. I understand that in Comp everything is based on LBS per Cubic Inch.

So with that said, someone can run any combination right? Any car and any motor combination?

For example:
Dragster has a 400 SBC and weighs 1700 LBS. So that is 4.25 Lbs/Cu In. So if I was to run comp with it, it would be in a dragster class were 4.25 fits? Correct?
Same would go with a roadster or door car?
Granted I know my stuff isnt fast enough just wanting to make sure I understand it all correctly??

Thanks

Close but you are looking at it backwards. When I ran comp, NHRA allowed 170 lbs for the driver, not sure what it is now, maybe the same.

The car in my avatar ran a number of different classes depending on motor and weight. I normally ran B/A or C/A with a 402 or a 347.
The minimum weight for those classes was 2100 lbs. B/A is a 5.4 lb/cu in class so the minimum weight for me in B/A was 402 x 5.4 = 2171 plus 170 or 2,341 lbs.

C/A is a 6 lbs/cu in class so 347 x 6 = 2,082 plus 170 or 2,252 lbs. I also ran G/A which had a minimum class weight of 2750 lbs. It is an 8 pound class so I ran a 323. 323 x 8 = 2584 plus 170 lbs = 2,754 lbs.

There are also different restrictions in the "econo" classes and "super" classes like 1 carb and auto transmissions. These examples will give you a start but you'll need to reference the latest rule book for all of the details.

I always liked to run a class with a full bodied car. I just changed motors and weight to fit the different classes depending on which one I thought had the best index. You might want to also look at www.insidecompracing.com for more info.