View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 03:46 AM   #28
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: Removal of historic monuments

These are not false comparisons at all. And again you are trying to conflate to sesperate issues. In logic, you address one issue at once and not mix in other issues. We are talking about statues and the idea of taking them down would mean people would forget their history.

No, you brought up the idea of horrors in the civil war. not me.

"You really shouldn't try to compare the American civil war to the atrocities of WWII. These men were not war criminals.

I brought up the p[eople ion Germany and france not having any statues and not forgetting their history. I never mentioned any war crimes.

This is known as a strawman argument

"By your logic, the whole country is brain dead if they need a statue or monument to honor a person. Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial, etc. Tear them all down. Their not needed because David Lee said so"

People remember the actions of Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln without any memorial. We learned about them in our schools in something called a history class. As we learned about the civil war. A statue can not in any way teach history. Most Americans will never go to Washington DC and see these memorials.

And when pointed out that these were put up by people that supported the Jim Crow laws, you go ballistic. This is not a liberal or conservative issue. There are conservatives that believe these should be brought down. And history also has recorded why these statues were erected, And no matter how much excuses you put up, you can't change the facts.

And again, you refused to answer my initial question. Why do you need a statue to remember your history? And the one question you never asked is what my position on the statues is. You automatically assumed that every statue in every town come down. And that is wrong.

Last edited by David Lee; 09-21-2017 at 04:31 AM.
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote