View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #17
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts
Default Re: wrist pin clip issues

Wayne,
I'm not squirming or pissing and moaning. I agree with you on clearance, but too much makes the pin act like a battering ram on the clips. most applications I deal with .002 to .006 is plenty. But first Get the alky tune up correct where it won't flood when the driver is pedaling it and the pistons and pins won't deflect so much they need more clearance. I do agree pins need end play, but most pistons grow outward at the pin boss when the engine heats up making more pin end play. Flooding it with the alky is probably keeping piston temp down = no piston growth & more deflection of the pin and piston. I have seen the very same thing in Dirt engines with 4" bores. It bothers me to see a driver that has abusive habits. Some times those DT cars have drivers that are real harsh with the loud pedal, too.
There could be multiple issues with this one. It could even be a set of pins that are not up to handling the load the alky puts on them. Pin deflection can be a real serious issue on high cylinder pressure applications. Good luck fixing it.