View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Front shock install problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
What is everyone doing about putting "big body" shocks on Camaro/Nova A-arms, especially since aftermarket control arms are not allowed on traditional cars in SS?
Case in point,, Q-A1 adjustable shocks won't fit up through the A-arm (you can only grind so much) and then try to collapse the spring (spring compressor can't occupy the same space) to complete the install. This is providing some very frustrating moments and I know there are many 67-69 Camaro SS cars out there with single and double adjustable shocks out there. What are we missing here? Thanks for any info.
Danny Durham
I had QA1 shocks on my car for a while. I was able to do some grinding to get them to slide in from the bottom after the spring was installed. The Santhuff shocks needed a bigger hole so I pulled the lower a arms off and used the drill press and a large hole saw to open the bottom up as large as the spring would allow. Then I welded some new tabs which moved the bottom of the shock more toward the spindle. The QA 1 shocks were better than the Koni shocks but still would not control the bounce. The Santhuffs were expensive but calmed the car right down.