View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #192
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Daryl, Check into Chuck McJury's Playmate II. It was an automatic car. Chuck was fromupstate New York (Schenectady area) 30 Minutes west of Albany. Raced atLebanon Valley Drag Strip, which was about an hour east, away from his home base.Lebanon Valley is about 30 minutes, southeast of Albany. NHRA track. Paul
Paul
I talked to Chuck a few times and met him twice. At the Hemi Reunion he was able to drive another Hemi Dart down the track - he said when he pulled 2nd gear the owner, in the passenger seat, about fell out of his seat!. Chuck told me that he ordered an automatic car but when he picked it up they gave him a 4-speed - he said he always raced it as an automatic though. Chuck's car has not surfaced but it is rumored to be still around - stored in a garage - I have gotten this from 2 sources and they both knew specific things about the car that makes me belive that they are not BSing. Dell and I have identified 70+ of the original owners of the 83-4 Hemi Darts that were supposedly built. I know some purists insist that there were only 50 cars made but I have paperwork from Dick Maxwell ordering 30 additional Darts to be built after the initial 50. I am putting together a list of Darts that are missing and crossing out the known 4-speed cars and cars that were changed to 70 models fro P/S (many were) and see what we have left. My guess is that the car was not originally from the NE but I could be wrong. Does anyone have any ties to the Manhatten Speed Shop to find out about the Dart that was run from there? I know of another Dart from PA that was not raced by the original owners and sold to someone in NY - they took a check, it bounced and they repo'ed the car - it had been raced and the engine was blown. This car is currently accounted for but I have wondered if the Manhatten Speed Dart was the same car as it appears that it had only been run for short period of time. Jimi, I hope that you are able to find some pics of the Dart when your Dad bought it - this could help.
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote