Thread: Cobrastang
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Rusty Gillis

Liked 87 Times in 19 Posts
Default Cobrastang

I bought Ken McLellan's Cobrastang 1969 SS/G factory backed Mustang in 1973 on the way home from the Winternationals in Pomona. Ken got out of Drag Racing when he lost his Ford sponsorship. Ken set the SS/G record many times, the record was 11.09 when I got it. In 1971 Ken won Super Stock at the World Finals in Texas. In 1973 I took the car to the Gatornationals because I broke a converter in my car. I had not driven a 4 speed car in 4 years. With no practice the first time run was 11.11. Broke an axle during qualifying. I raced it only a few times because it was breaking a lot of parts; axles, wheel studs, clutch, etc. I used the engine as a spare for my SS/GA and set the record in 1974 with parts from it. In the early 80's we backed halfed the car, put a roll cage in and stripped it to race brackets (what a mistake). It has been in storage for over 20 years. Only has 21 miles on it.

This is how it looked in 2005

It is finally time to get the Cobrastang out of storage and start the restoration. It has been in storage a long time. I plan on restoring as close as I can as raced by Ken McLellan back in the day. It will be a long term project.

Liked